Boil-water notice lifted from Texas city where microbe found


Singapore will pay citizens to have a…
Kim Yoo Jung gets an offer to star in a…
I Started Working Out Consistently, and It…
This is the perfect recipe to make with…
Oil Falls After Stimulus Talks End With…
Malaysia’s PM In self-quarantine but public…
The FAA is opening the door a crack f…
Toronto FC, Seattle Sounders top latest…
LHL filed suit to protect reputation
Ear expert helped Brian Johnson restore his…
A Closer Look at the Hermès Arceau…
The Most Breathable Face Masks To Run In
The History of West Virginia’s Abandoned…
Southeast Asia’s classifieds start-up…
Australia casino billionaire Packer…
The best mini tripods for capturing…
Tested: 2021 BMW M440i xDrive Noses…
S’porean blood plasma used in Trump’s…
President Halimah orders GE2020 ballot…
‘Love Lies’ cowriter Tayla Parx reveals…
Drunk Elephant Founder Tiffany Mast…
This one tip could save you $100 per year
2020 Pappy Van Winkle Bourbon Release: Top…
China is opening a knockoff Japanese…
Crews working to recover 3 dead in…
Oil prices up 3% as Hurricane Delta…
De Boer facing challenges ahead of…
India-bound Jaguar XF facelift revealed with…
Singapore proposes baby bonus amid…
Eddie Van Halen: Tributes pour in for…
7 Self-Care Tips If The News Cycle Is…
The Cheesecake Factory Shared Their…
Southwest CEO said the airline can avoid…
JPMorgan aims to back clients to align with…
The Supreme Court is taking on Google and…
Premier League defies virus crisis to flex…
Jaguar Kills XF Sportbrake Wagon for…
Tech Disruptions in Asia: How Youths Ca…
Singapore will pay citizens to have a baby during the pandemic
LAKE JACKSON, Texas (AP) — A boil-water notice was lifted Tuesday from the drinking-water system of a Houston-area city where water tainted with a deadly, microscopic parasite was blamed for the death of a 6-year-old boy.
In a statement, the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality said Lake Jackson officials lifted the notice Tuesday after disinfectant levels in the drinking water were documented to be above the state requirements. Also, water samples tested negative for harmful bacteria.
Boil-water notice lifted from Texas city where microbe found
However, the TCEQ urged users of Lake Jackson’s water to avoid getting it up their noses to reduce the risk of infection by the brain-eating microbe naegleria fowleri.
The boil-water notice was issued late last month after several days of flushing of the Brazosport Water Authority’s water delivery system. The flushing was ordered after three of 11 samples of the Lake Jackson’s water tested positive for the deadly flagellate.
One sample came from the home of Josiah McIntyre, the 6-year-old boy whom doctors said died earlier this month after being infected with the brain-eating parasite, city officials said.
The deadly amoeba does not cause an infection if it is in water that a person drinks as it is killed by normal levels of stomach acid. However, people can be infected when water containing the microbe enters the body through the nose
Republican Gov. Greg Abbott, who issued a disaster declaration for Lake Jackson, has said all indications point to the case being isolated and that the suspected problem in the boy’s death was traced back to a splash pad. The TCEQ said it and the city will conduct daily monitoring for the microbe going forward.
The Brazosport Water Authority initially warned eight communities on Sept. 25 not to use tap water for any reason except to flush toilets. It lifted that warning the next day for all communities but Lake Jackson, where the authority’s water treatment plant is situated. The advisory also was canceled for two state prisons and Dow Chemical’s massive Freeport works.
The ban was lifted in Lake Jackson on Sept. 27 but replaced with the boil-water notice.
Naegleria fowleri is a free-living microscopic amoeba, or single-celled living organism commonly found in warm freshwater and soil, according to the U.S Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. It usually infects people when contaminated water enters the body through the nose. From there it travels to the brain and can cause a rare and debilitating disease called primary amebic meningoencephalitis.
The infection is usually fatal and typically occurs when people go swimming or diving in warm freshwater places such as lakes and rivers. In very rare instances, naegleria infections may also occur when contaminated water from other sources (such as inadequately chlorinated swimming pool water or heated and contaminated tap water) enters the nose.
“This is a terrible tragedy that made something that was rare, and even vanishingly rare, actually happen,” said John Hellersedt, commissioner of the Texas Department of State Health Services.